Enrich Your Life – Part 2

Category: Happiness

Enrich Your Life

Picking up from where we left, here are few more ideas which can help you enrich your life and get rid of boredom simultaneously:

Entertainment On The Go – To Battle Traveling Time

Imagine traveling 5 hours just to reach office and back home. Imagine doing this everyday in crazy traffic, bad weather & bumpy rides. If you don’t want to be tired or in a bad mood after this kind of journey, it is crucial to make most of this time. I credit ‘entertainment on the go’ for making my life easy and keeping me in a positive state of mind when I had to do this kind of traveling.

The concept is very simple – find something you can do which relaxes, energizes and entertains you. My something was seeing dances in my mind. I can play peppy numbers in my head and see people dance. If you ever see me staring into nothing with a goofy smile on my face, chances are high that this is exactly what I am doing. Sounds crazy I know. But it works. I can spend hours this way and because I remain entertained, when I reach destination I am not tired.

Imagining dance is my way of keeping myself entertained. You have to find something that works for you. If I know before hand that I have a lot of traveling to do, I make it a point to carry books and music along with me as well. Traveling everyday with same people opens the possibility of bonding with people & playing games to stay entertained. Getting some sleep of course is always an option. Some people I know use this time for meditation and self reflection. What is it that you can do in these hours to pass the journey easily?

Heart to Heart – Experience Richness Of Relationships

Sometimes, boredom in life is a reflection of staleness in relationships. When you don’t connect with others and focus solely on self, you start missing love that only heart to heart bonds can bring.

This longing for love & relationships manifests itself in various ways – sometimes through sadness, sometimes through loneliness and sometimes through boredom or disinterest for everything.

The only way to find out whether it is relationships that you miss, is to reach out to people you love. When you spend time with them – sharing, talking, laughing, bonding … you will know, your heart will tell you, whether it is this that you were seeking for.

To keep your life enriched with love which relationships bring, take time to nurture relationships. And more importantly, experience this love and fill your heart with it from time to time.

Pick Your Cause – Go Change Someone’s World

Teaching children, giving company to seniors, going green to save environment, being a reason for someone’s smile – who has the time to get bored with life when there is so much to do? This world needs you. It needs the unique you, the common you, the weird you, the silly you … it needs all of you to help it with all these causes. What are you going to do today to change the world?

If the term ‘change the world’ puts you off, since it seems like an unlikely task, something too huge for you to accomplish; then ask yourself this – What can you do to change someone’s world? Not entire world. Just one person’s world. What can you do to make someone’s life easier, better, filled with love, filled with opportunities, filled with hope …

When you stop looking outside to find something that can enrich your life and start looking within to enrich someone else’s life, your life will truly change.

Enrich someone’s life today. And see how your life gets enriched on its own. Give someone love today. And see how your heart gets filled with love on it’s own. The beauty of changing someone’s life is such that as you change that persons life, so will your life change.

Paint Your Life As You Choose To – Every Single Day

In the end, I would like to leave you with this fantastic poem by John McLeod :
Paint Your Life Image

Awakening – John McLeod

Awakening, dawn’s chorus
Welcoming,
The day new, untouched
Waiting to be filled….

And will we paint a rainbow
With all its promise
Or dull the canvas
Sadly seen?

Each day brings its own colours
To be chosen, mixed,
Pigments of joy,
Happy moments,
Smiles and laughter….

And which will you choose?
For ‘Life’ is choice,
We are all painters
In our own way,
All needing to create
Something of worth,
Of lasting beauty,
Marking our journey….
Footprints in the sand….

The sky today is azure,
The sun warm and golden
A filigree of light and shadow-play
Through the gently swaying trees.

I clean my brushes,
Choose my palette
Of vibrant, living colours,
And begin to fill
Today’s blank canvas.

Bookmark and Share

1. Evelyn Lim | August 21st, 2009 at 12:53 am

What a pretty postcard picture you have for this post!!! I love it! It is true that we don’t need to go on big projects just to change the world. A kind word, a beautiful smile and a loving gesture can go a long way!

2. Barbara Swafford | August 21st, 2009 at 1:04 am

I really liked this post. And the poem, it’s fantastic. I do agree. We all get to choose how to paint our lives – even if hardship comes our way, it’s how we handle it, and what we learn from it that can make all the difference in the world.
    .-= Barbara Swafford´s awesome post ..Bloggers – Defining What We Are =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 21st, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Barbara, I get inspired all ready to paint every time I read this poem (I am not a big fan of painting :)). When we learn from our hardship, the journey gets easier, doesn’t it?

3. Slim0123 | August 21st, 2009 at 2:17 am

For the First Para, “How you got into my brain???”
    Choreographing dance routines while listening to music in my ipod is my fav past time in the way to college and from college to home in bus.

For the last few lines of your article, the way I tried to did that was helping all others around me seeking for any sort of help that I could provide, but nothing ended up in healthy relationship, all, I ended up by spending my precious time for others, was a comment, “Oh, him, he is always free, you too should consult him if you having any problem in computer” and nothing more than that.

Now thinking of omitting the remaining two paras of your article to accomplish what you say can be done by that.

In today’s world, the more you give, the more the people will try to take from you….. once you try to ask, they might ask you “Who are you?”….

So for enriching your life, my advice would be to befren a pet animal instead of any human being coz you can’t seek inside the mask that people have started wearing, about what’s inside, but for surely, the pet will never leave you till eternity…

“Every path I take to change the destination of my destiny, it becomes the path to end up there”
    .-= Slim0123´s awesome post ..B.Tech. 3rd Sem RTU 2009 Result =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 21st, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Slim0123, when people come into picture, everything always gets dynamic and unpredictable. Just because you have had some bad experiences with some people, don’t give up on helping others. The magic of helping others is in how you feel when you do the same, it’s not in people appreciating you (which might or might not happen).

Sometimes, the way people treat us is a reflection of how we see ourselves. Do you value your time? If you don’t, others wont either. Is there any way you can honor your time & yet help others?

4. Kaushik | beyond-karma.com | August 21st, 2009 at 5:33 am

Thanks for bringing up a very essential question: how do we enrich our lives?

Travel time can give us the quiet time that is otherwise difficult for many people to find in structured lives. It’s a good time to be in effortless meditation. There is no boredom, I’ve found that falling back into watchful awareness is the trick.
    .-= Kaushik | beyond-karma.com´s awesome post ..Call off the Struggle =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 21st, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Kaushik, we all spend so much time traveling … it’s a total waste to let it just pass by. Music meditation & Anapana (breathing meditation) comes easy to me while traveling.

5. Zeenat{Positive Provocations} | August 21st, 2009 at 7:20 am

Avani, What a superb post!
    I personally like “go change the world” best of all. Ad these lines are just genius..
    “who has the time to get bored with life when there is so much to do? This world needs you. It needs the unique you, the common you, the weird you, the silly you … it needs all of you to help it with all these causes. What are you going to do today to change the world?”
    And the dance in the head tip is very good too. I did it for a bit….very engaging i must say.. ;)
    The poem is just the right cherry on the cake :)
    .-= Zeenat{Positive Provocations}´s awesome post ..A Happy Home Recipe =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 21st, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Zeenat, your lovely comments make my day. You actually tried the dance tip – that’s so cool :) It never fails me. I sometimes use it while taking mini breaks from work. Nothing is as refreshing as that (apart from actually dancing of course ;) )

6. Tess The Bold Life | August 21st, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I’m painting my world generous and abundant. Great post and poem.
    .-= Tess The Bold Life´s awesome post ..Mondays are 1/7 of Your Life =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Wonderful. With generosity & abundance you enrich not only yours but others’ worlds as well.

7. Paul Maurice Martin | August 22nd, 2009 at 10:50 pm

A general theme here might be “Do what you need to do in order to have an inner life that’s fuller.” Doing so puts loneliness as well as boredom into retreat and can even make them things of the past.

8. Surender Sharma | August 24th, 2009 at 3:44 am

Thanks MS Mehta,
    Your tips are more valuable for me I mean like a the creation of pearl on the Sea shore.
    .-= Surender Sharma´s awesome post ..How to Tweet Your Blog Post Automatically on Twitter =-.

9. J.D. Meier | August 24th, 2009 at 1:30 pm

> Paint you life as you choose to.
    That’s a perfect take away phrase.

I like how you frame “entertainment on the go.” I’m a fan of “entertainment” and “edutainment.” Sometimes I need some insight, and other times I just need to rock.
    .-= J.D. Meier´s awesome post ..Time Management Quotes =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 24th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Same here JD. Audio books rock edutainment area while traveling. It’s informative & entertaining at the same time.

10. Amanda Linehan | August 24th, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Hi Avani – I really relate to the first suggestion you posted – entertainment on the go. Driving in my car to work and then home again takes a while and I find that audio books are a great way to make use of that time. I love the idea of you imagining dances though! Our imaginations can be wonderful!
    .-= Amanda Linehan´s awesome post ..How To Discover Your Greatest Gift =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 24th, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Amanda, I agree. The only challenge is to find good ones. Imagining dances is quite entertaining. (very dangerous while driving ;-) )

11. jannie Funster | August 27th, 2009 at 1:38 pm

“giving company to seniors” this is something I want to do, so important. Maybe sing to them too.

But wait, do you seriously spend 5 hours a day in commute? No? Seriously?
    .-= jannie Funster´s awesome post ..Post-Vacation Contemplation =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 27th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I “used to” spend 5 hours a day in commute (2.5 one way). A few I know spent more than that. It’s quite common in Mumbai since everything is spread out and people have to travel from one end to other for work – plus traffic is crazy.

Singing to seniors is a great idea. Go Jannie!

12. 2010 fashion trends | July 17th, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I was surfing last night, unsure of what I was , but knew that I needed help with my problems, and your site just popped up. (Divine intervention, or what!)

13. Timothy Lumsden | January 28th, 2012 at 10:47 am

I value the post.Thanks Again. Fantastic.