Category: Featured, Motivation

Hold On To Your Dreams Image

However, when things go wrong and life gives you a road block, don’t give up. Don’t take a u-turn and let go of your dreams. Hold on. Hold on to all your dreams and all that you want.

And as you hold on to your dreams, remember that the path to your dreams need not be a straight line. There will be detours and there will be partial u-turns; there will be rivers and valleys to cross on which bridges are yet to be formed.

And as you make new paths to go towards your dreams, don’t forget to live the detours, the partial u-turns, the rivers, valleys, bridges and all that you see. Don’t rush to make up for the straight route lost. Don’t grumble and ignore everything on the longer path.

Live each moment for it will not come again. Live the longer route, make most of each experience. For then when you reach your dreams and look back at the zig zag path, you will smile and realize that this is how it was meant to be all long.

Photo: me'nthedogs

1. Jannie Funster | August 10th, 2009 at 11:14 am

This makes me think today of the ELO song “Hold On Tight To Your Dreams.” You know it? I have always liked it a log.

Here is the You Tube link to it….

Those little zigs, zags and U-turkns will be there but they always sort themselves out if we now our general course.
    .-= Jannie Funster´s awesome post blog ..Hair Style: We Goin’ Radically Retro =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 10th, 2009 at 11:23 am

Lovely song! It’s shot in an interesting manner. I hadn’t heard the song before. Thanks I enjoyed a lot.

• Girish Pant | January 17th, 2010 at 1:02 am

Dear Ms Mehta..very nice quote and keep sending to me as well

2. Kaushik | beyond-karma.com | August 10th, 2009 at 1:58 pm

ah, it’s all part of the vast fascination of being alive! Lovely article.
    .-= Kaushik | beyond-karma.com´s awesome post blog ..Do you feel lighter, more compassionate, more joyful, more natural, more playful? =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 10th, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Thanks Kaushik. Glad you liked it. Although the experience of being alive can be fascinating, I haven’t ever used these terms together. Reminds me that we are spiritual beings having human experience and not the other way round.

3. Jen | August 10th, 2009 at 5:05 pm

dear Avani, this was beautiful! :) thank you for this lovely post! :) i cannot pick a favourite part for it flows beautifully with Truth! Namaste blessings, Jen/Sharmila
    .-= Jen´s awesome post blog ..Panic is just another stroke on the Painting… =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 10th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Jen, Namaste. I am so glad you liked the post. It would be difficult for me to pick one part over other as well since everything is connected.

4. Evelyn Lim | August 10th, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Hello Avani,

It is great to have you back! I love the picture that accompanies this blog post. I also enjoy the tip on not forgetting to enjoy the journey in the detours or partial U-turns.

May your dreams come true too :-)

Love and light,
    Evelyn
    .-= Evelyn Lim´s awesome post blog ..Align with Abundance =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 11th, 2009 at 11:55 am

Evelyn, amen to that. May all our dreams come true. I wish I could frame this pic (it looks like it’s painted). The place looks so beautiful as well.

5. J.D. Meier | August 11th, 2009 at 2:03 am

I like your zig zag metaphor … it’s evocative and I find that zig zagging my way through life keeps things interesting.
    .-= J.D. Meier´s awesome post blog ..How To Have a Strong Week =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 11th, 2009 at 11:57 am

J.D., that’s a good way to look at the zig-zag path – interesting. If you are interested in your journey then you probably wont be frustrated with how it goes and will enjoy it as well.

6. Zeenat{Positive Provocations} | August 11th, 2009 at 2:11 am

Avani, I love the simplicity with which you have inspired our dreams. Dreams are certainly worth it…and the zig zags truly do make the whole journey so much more enriching and worthwhile.
    Love the picture/painting.
    .-= Zeenat{Positive Provocations}´s awesome post blog ..Looking Inward To Find Your True Self. =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 11th, 2009 at 11:59 am

Zeenat, yes, the zig zags do enhance our journey. Sometimes, I think they are there to move us forward in our path towards our dreams … providing us with experiences and required strength for testing times to come.

7. Srinivas Rao | August 11th, 2009 at 10:04 am

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Zig Zag ideas. It’s often really frustrating when we are trying to accomplish goals and it seems we are going in different directions. Once we know that most goals are accomplished in a Zig Zag manner, then I think we can be a bit more patient about everything.
    .-= Srinivas Rao´s awesome post blog ..How to break out of your comfort zone =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 11th, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Srinivas, zig zags do make us impatient, don’t they? Knowing that that’s the route would free us and allow us to enjoy the journey.

8. Miguel de Luis | August 11th, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Hi Avani, thanks. I was just writing a post titled “a man can dream”, dedicated to one of my little dreams: to publish a roleplaying game on Newsies (XIX century newsboys), which started fast, but then my day job absorved most of my energies.

Well, it’s funny, because, I’m decided not to let it die.

So thank Avani, it’s almost as if you could read my… heart
    .-= Miguel de Luis´s awesome post blog ..A man can dream =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 12th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Welcome Miguel and cheers to you – for not giving up on your dream and not letting it die. May you dream come true soon …

9. Amanda Linehan | August 11th, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Hi Avani – “…remember that the path to your dreams need not be a straight line.” Sometimes when there are twists and turns in the road it seems like we might not get there. But, that’s just the way we build up what we need to fulfill our dreams. :)
    .-= Amanda Linehan´s awesome post blog ..Be Honest With Yourself =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 12th, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Amanda, beautifully put. You read my mind :) Twists and turns ensure that we fulfill our destination, they form an important part of our journey.

10. Vered - Blogger for Hire | August 12th, 2009 at 2:35 pm

“the path to your dreams need not be a straight line.” This is such an important reminder. I grew up believing that achieving my goals would always be easy, since school was always easy for me. But life is different than school, and it took me several years to accept that.
    .-= Vered – Blogger for Hire´s awesome post blog ..Sin City Pictures =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 13th, 2009 at 11:40 am

Vered, same here. I think all of us go through that phase. Especially if school has been good. I wish somebody told us in school about this.

11. Paul Maurice Martin | August 12th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I really like the rich texture of that picture. It’s reminding me of something from a book in childhood that I can’t exactly place…

Paying attention to the “detours, the partial u-turns, the rivers, valleys, bridges” strikes me as especially important because they keep a dream from becoming a rigid expectation that may not be flexible enough to take advantage of real-world opportunities.

• Avani-Mehta | August 13th, 2009 at 11:42 am

Paul, I would frame this picture if I could. Am glad you loved it as well.

I like what you are saying – that detours … lead us to new dreams or to places where we are destined to be. Being rigid would leave no scope for that. Makes me wonder whether detours lead me to my dreams or to where I am supposed to go.

12. Mark | August 12th, 2009 at 7:45 pm

‘the path to your dreams need not be a straight line. There will be detours and there will be partial u-turns; there will be rivers and valleys to cross on which bridges are yet to be formed.’

This is a wonderful statement! And it’s what life is all about. Instead of being so sure about things, it seems to me that we should be more accepting and let life take us where it will. We can have a sense of direction and purpose, but we don’t need to be so rigid. Enjoy the journey.

I think being accepting and seeing the good things in what you have is really important – as Buddha famously observed, all suffering comes from resisting the way things are.

• Avani-Mehta | August 13th, 2009 at 11:43 am

Mark, life is one big adventure isn’t it? If we only let ourselves go and explore, how different life would turn out to be.

13. vishesh | August 12th, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Ha love this :) Its a question of distance isn’t it and not displacement :) Its not the destination which is important but the journey. But what if turning back is a part of the chosen path?
    .-= vishesh ´s awesome post blog ..As we talk together =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 13th, 2009 at 11:44 am

Vishesh, journey is everything. Since when you reach your destination, you realize you now want to go someplace else. Turning back is perfectly fine … whatever your heart says … wherever it leads you … nothing is carved in stone.

14. Ricardo Bueno | August 20th, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Re: “the path to your dreams need not be a straight line.”

It often isn’t. But I’ve since learned to enjoy/embrace the adventure for what it is. Embrace the challenges and all. The simple fact is, those moments of hardship make us stronger (it sounds cheesy to say, but it really is true). I’ve had some *very* hard moments but when I sit here and reflect on them and the past, I feel that I’m a stronger person for ’em. And it allows me to enjoy the present and the future just that much more.
    .-= Ricardo Bueno´s awesome post ..Bobby Mcferrin Show Us How To Engage With An Audience =-.

• Avani-Mehta | August 20th, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Ricardo, it sounds cheesy only when you hear the statement while going through tough times (sometimes I tell myself the same thing and get bugged at myself for saying so when times are tough). But yes, in hindsight, it does seem that hardships make us stronger and give us the strength which helps us sail through and towards our dreams. It’s not for nothing that it is said that ‘What doesn’t kill you, only makes you stronger’