Set & Celebrate Milestones

Category: Motivation

Celebrate Milestones Man In Action
photo courtesy of super fantastic

First, have a definite, clear practical idea; a goal, an objective. Second, have the necessary means to achieve your ends; wisdom, money, materials, and methods. Third, adjust all your means to that end. – Aristotle

‘People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily. – Zig Ziglar’. Top 8 Motivation Hacks will help you to get motivated and stay motivated. A daily dose of either of these will enable you to stay on track with your goals and achieve them.

Motivation Hack #1: Set & Celebrate Milestones

A huge goal or a long term goal can appear quite overwhelming when seen as one unit. They make it seem as if success is far away – not even within visible range. And when our days are filled with long hours of toiling without any kind of achievement in sight, it gets difficult to stay motivated. For tough times like these -

• Create Mini Goals

Break your mega goal into a set of mini goals. A mini goal should seem easy to achieve. You will notice, when the same goal is seen as a stream of small connecting goals, it suddenly seems achievable. Success then does not seem impossible.

Creating mini goals make you think through the plan to achieve your goal well. This helps in creating a detailed plan. If there is anything that you had missed considering earlier, the process of creating mini goals will bring those into focus. Creating mini goals brings clarity to your action plan.

• Set Milestones

Within the stream of mini goals, set a milestone after some mini goals. For instance, If you have 20 mini goals, your milestone can be at every fifth mini goal.

Setting milestones help us highlight places in our stream of mini goals where we should step back and evaluate progress, learn from success and hardships, and fine tune the action plan accordingly.

• Celebrate Milestones

Once you reach a milestone, celebrate. One reason to create milestone is that on reaching them you know you have progressed, you know you have succeeded in achieving a part of your goal. And every success is a cause for celebration.

Don’t wait till you complete your entire goal to celebrate. Celebrate in between – with every small victory. These smaller celebrations will push you forward and keep you energized to move towards your goals. Too much of celebration might leave no time to work towards your goals. Hence celebrate on reaching milestones and not mini goals.

Bookmark and Share

1. Patricia | November 3rd, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Avani-Mehti,
    I like how you have taken the motivational ideas and made them tiny steps in your post. I have found that it is crucial for me to be able to view the outcome in detail and then back up to the mini- steps and milestones. I am just awful about finding ways to celebrate and I think when I skip that step is when I get distracted from my goal. I kind of need it right before my eyes.

Thank you for writing this and posting today. It was just perfect timing for me

Patricia´s last blog post..Hats Off to The Ladies of The Club

2. Marelisa | November 3rd, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Hi Avani: I think that breaking down goals into tiny steps is one of the best ways to get ourselves motivated to actually take those steps. I also agree that rewarding ourselves is very important.

3. Tom Volkar / Delightful Work | November 3rd, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Milestones work because they are something specific to shoot for and because that cause us to pause and recognize then celebrate our progress.
    Most folks are their own toughest critics. By getting specific we can feel good about what has worked well and reflect on it.

Tom Volkar / Delightful Work´s last blog post..Do It Your Way

4. Vered - MomGrind | November 3rd, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Breaking a major goal into mini goal is a great way to make sure you don’t give up. Weight loss is a great example, I think.

5. Maya | November 3rd, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I am too hard on myself most times. It is very important for me to celebrate to keep myself motivated and focus on what is right and working and not dwell on the negative.
    It is a great pic!

Maya´s last blog post..Embracing our cultural identities at work and in life can only be good for us

6. Avani-Mehta | November 3rd, 2008 at 11:24 pm

@Patricia: I relate to what you are saying. Sometimes I am so intent on reaching milestone after milestone, that I forget to enjoy the process.

@Marelisa: Smaller goals do seem achievable, don’t they? I guess that’s why we get motivated with them

@Tom: I agree. Feeling good about self is as important as pushing self forward.

@Vered: Weight loss is “the example”. Looking at a huge number of pounds to lose is quite intimidating. Best is to focus reducing 10% at a time.

@Maya: As Tom says, we are our worst critics. Sometimes, too harsh, too strict with ourselves. Seeing what we have achieved so far, and celebrating it is like a huge validation for our success. Feels great, works like a moral booster. I loved the pic too :)

7. Barbara Swafford | November 4th, 2008 at 12:55 am

Hi Avani – I’m glad you brought up this subject. It’s such a help when we feel overwhelmed by a large project.

I’ve used this method for quite some time now and also apply it to my list making. Instead of putting one big item on my list, I break it up into segments. Not only do I make a good dent in the bigger project, but I get to cross more off of my list and it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Barbara Swafford´s last blog post..A.S.K. Darren Rowse – Problogger – How To Become A Six Figure Blogger

8. Davina | November 4th, 2008 at 3:54 am

Hi Avani. Brilliant! I love the idea of mini goals and then periodically rounding them up into a milestone goal. LOL at Zig Ziglar’s quote!!!!

Davina´s last blog post..A Ghostly Life Experience

9. Stacey / Create a Balance | November 4th, 2008 at 8:05 am

I love the Zig Ziglar quote. This also applies to life balance. I’m also a huge fan of “MicroMovements” and celebrating along the way. SARK encourages mini-goals to be no longer than 5 seconds to 5 minutes long. This helps you meet many many milestones and give you a sense of movement towards your larger goal.

Stacey / Create a Balance´s last blog post..Top Ten Signs I May Always Look Pregnant

10. Avani-Mehta | November 4th, 2008 at 1:23 pm

@Barbara: Crossing items off the list is the best feeling ever, isn’t it?

@Davina: I chuckled the first time I read Zig Ziglar’s quote. Has been one of my favourites till then.

@Stacey: What’s SARK? A mini to be no longer than 5 minutes! Wow, that requires awesome vision and clarity.

11. Anbusivam | November 4th, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Avani – nice post. Wonderful quote from Zig Ziglar..:).
    Yes creating mini goals makes our life simple. That should be key part of the Goal Setting excercise. When I decided to loose 10kgs in 6 months, I dreamed number “10″ to be huge mountain in fornt of me and asusual all my efforts went in vein, as I gave up soon. But, when decided to loose 1kg of my weight in a month, suddenly everything was in place for me to acheive that. I’ve noticed, breaking a larger piece of meal into smaller chunks is the first thing that Ants do.

-Anbusivam.

Anbusivam´s last blog post..Yes, I am a Valuable Person

12. Avani-Mehta | November 7th, 2008 at 8:36 am

@Anbusivam, That’s a nice observation. I didn’t know ants did that. Losing 10kgs is amazing. You must share your learnings and experiences.