Instant De-stressing and Relaxation Technique – Anytime, Anywhere

Category: De-stress & Relax

Instant de-stressing and relaxation technique - anytime, anywhere
Photo Courtesy of Ende

This is the third and final part of an ongoing series – Find Your Own Sanctuary.

Find Your Own Sanctuary Part 1 – With Nature focussed on spending time in nature, absorbing the beauty, the stillness, the calmness, the sounds at different times of the day to relax and rejuvenate.

Part II – 11 Refreshing Ways to Find Your Own Sanctuary – is all about getting refreshed and re-energized in totally unexpected places. Unexpected because we have not really seen these places/activities as a possible relaxation option. Unexpected because inspite of knowing these places/activities work, we sometimes forget about them and loose out on some simple refreshment options.

Find Your Own Sanctuary III focusses on finding your sanctuary within. The technique mentioned can be done at any place with whatever time available and is still effective. Think how wonderful it would be if in an increasingly busy and stressful day, you could relax and freshen up within a span of five minutes. And that too without being dependant on anything external to relieve your stress. This technique offers you exactly that. I have experimented and mix-matched a lot of meditation techniques to come up with this one which suits me.

Select a quiet place.
Select a place where you can be with yourself without any distractions for atleast 5 mins. Initially, you will have to sit in one place while practicing this. Choose your location accordingly.

Breathe in and breathe out.
Sit in any comfortable position and close your eyes. Now breathe in and breathe out. Focus on your breath through mind. Focus on the sensation of air moving in and out of your nostrils. Feel your belly rise and fall. Don’t think of anything else. Simply focus on your breath. Continue doing this till you notice that your mental chatter has reduced.

See yourself on a spiral stairway
Now see yourself on top of a spiral stairway. You can either see the stairway through your eyes – as if you are seeing the stairway from top of it. Or you can see yourself standing on the stairway from a distance – as if you are seeing a movie featuring you. The latter is easier to do.

Once you can see yourself and the stairway clearly, get down slowly. Avoid going fast, skipping the walk or fast forwarding the walk. As you near the end of the stairway, you see a closed door.

Open the door leading to your private sanctuary

Instant de-stressing and relaxation technique - anytime, anywhere
Photo Courtesy of bbsc30

This door leads to your private sanctuary – a scenic, beautiful, soothing place. This could be a garden, a mountain side, river bank, lake side, forest … whatever you like. You are free to create your sanctuary the way you want.

Open the door and enter you sanctuary.

Savour your sanctuary
Savour everything around through all your senses. Hear soothing sounds/music playing in the background. Feel the freshness in the air. Let yourself be in awe and inspiration of the beauty and serenity of this place.

Find your favourite spot to relax. And enjoy. My favourite spot is to sit near a water body with my feet in water. Sometimes, I love sitting on a swing as well.

Create bubbles
As you are enjoying your sanctuary, don’t allow external thoughts to come in and engage your mind. Everytime you catch a thought, put it in a bubble and see it slowly go up towards the sky. See it … till it disappears. And again relax and enjoy. When you begin, you might find that all you are creating is bubbles. But that’s all right. With practice, this reduces. If you feel too distracted, focus on your breathing for a while and start enjoying your sanctuary again.

Slowly open your eyes
Stay in your sanctuary for as long as you like. And smile as you get relaxed and feel soothed. Whenever you are ready to get back, slowly open your eyes. Give yourself a minute to get back completely.

And get started with the rest of your day.

1. Linda Abbit | July 3rd, 2008 at 1:57 am

I enjoyed reading your techniques for creating and inhabiting a sanctuary. I have been doing yoga for approximately 3 years and am still learning to relax more and more deeply.

I especially like your bubble ideas!! Thanks.

Linda Abbits last blog post..My Mom Turns 99 Years Old on July 4th!

2. Jephthah85 | July 3rd, 2008 at 3:43 am

Hi Avani Mehta!

In this fast paced, ever changing world that we lived in today, it is easy for us to get stressed out in all walks of life. A good way to diffuse your stress is simply taking a stroll down a park and enjoy the nature! It is important that we need to have a place of sanctuary,so that we can quieten ourselves and have a good rest spiritually and mentally.

I’ll take a stroll in the park today. :)

Jephthah85s last blog post..Winning People with Our Limitations

3. Barbara Swafford | July 3rd, 2008 at 4:12 am

Like you, I like the water. There’s nothing better than walking barefoot on a beach at the water’s edge.

I like swings too. I don’t think you can ever be too old to swing. :)

Barbara Swaffords last blog post..MMM – Can She Talk?

4. Mary@GoodlifeZen | July 3rd, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Lovely post! It’s so important to make time to rejuvenate and refresh oneself. I find that good oldfashioned meditation does that too.

5. Evelyn Lim | July 3rd, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Hello Avani,

You’ve got a beautiful blog here. It is my first visit here. This is a lovely post about having our own private santuary!

Stumbled and subscribed to receiving your posts!
    Evelyn

Evelyn Lims last blog post..7 Everyday Actions That Reflect Your Lack-laden Thoughts

6. Avani-Mehta | July 7th, 2008 at 12:52 pm

@Linda : I am glad you liked the ideas mentioned. I have been doing yoga on-off past few years. Trying to get consistent with it now.

@Jephthah : I agree. Spending time with nature is a great way to diffuse stress.

@Barbara : Walking barefoot on beach sounds great. No visit to beach can be complete without that :). And we are never too old for anything :)

@Mary : Yes, old fashioned meditation works wonders.

@Evelyn : Thank you for the stumble and subscribtion. I am glad that you liked the blog and it’s content.

7. CyberYogi | August 14th, 2008 at 8:37 am

Hi Avanti,

I am doing meditation for many years but learned about this simple technique (staircase,sanctury,bubbles)for the first time through your blog.Very good and please keep on sharing this good stuff.
    I have few pooja techniques listed in my blog cyberyoga.wordpress.com

Cyber Yogi

CyberYogi’s last blog post..Navagraha Stotram – 1 Mantra for all grahas

8. Mindy Masters | May 5th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I found the tip to put a bubble around intruding thoughts to be very helpful! Thank you, I will have to remember that!

Mindy Masters´s last blog post..The rain

9. Avatare | May 16th, 2011 at 11:07 am

NIce technique, I´ll definitely try this to get back into a relaxed modd from my stressed office job. Cause i tend to be to aggressive in stress situations. If you have other advises please let me know. Thank you very much John

1. […] Instant de-Stressing & Relaxation Technique: Anytime, Anywhere @ Avani Mehta […]